This November, California Legislators want to force unlimited abortion into the State Constitution. Proposition 1 is so broadly worded that it contains no limits on abortion access, or funding.
Proposition 1 Reads:
SEC. 1.1. The state shall not deny or interfere with an individual’s reproductive freedom in their most intimate decisions, which includes their fundamental right to choose to have an abortion and their fundamental right to choose or refuse contraceptives. This section is intended to further the constitutional right to privacy guaranteed by Section 1, and the constitutional right to not be denied equal protection guaranteed by Section 7. Nothing herein narrows or limits the right to privacy or equal protection.
It goes far beyond Roe v Wade. It would:
- enshrine state-funded abortion on demand throughout pregnancy into the state constitution
- prevent parental consent or even notification laws
- prevent informed consent laws and other reasonable health regulations for women seeking abortions
- permanently deny a father’s right to be heard in the abortion decision
- continue abortion’s disproportionate impact on black, Hispanic and disabled communities, thereby jeopardizing the future of these groups
Please read our document, The Truth About the Proposed “Reproductive Freedom” Constitutional Amendment.